At Upton, we strive to help our children develop into articulate and imaginative communicators, able to express their thoughts and ideas clearly and creatively through the written word. We equip our pupils with the essential skills they need to become life-long writers. We provide opportunities to ensure all of our children develop a genuine love of language and the written word. It is our intent that our children understand:
- the social functions of writing in order to use different genres of writing appropriately by considering its purpose and matching it to its audience
- have a fluent, cursive handwriting style
- a progressive understanding of grammatical conventions
- the way in which punctuation aids understanding
- how to apply spelling rules
We set high expectations for all our children to take pride in their work alongside allowing their imaginations to flourish.
What do we teach?
Careful links are made across the curriculum to ensure that children’s English learning is relevant and meaningful: linking our reading, writing and the wider curriculum. We ensure that children develop an understanding of how widely writing is used in everyday life and, therefore, how important and useful the skills are that they are learning. Our curriculum provides opportunities for our pupils to:
- Write for purpose
- See themselves as real writers; taking ownership of their writing
- Immerse themselves in the stages of writing
- See writing as an interesting and enjoyable process
Through our teaching of writing, we intend to impart pupils with the knowledge, understanding and skills they need in order to reach their potential as individuals
Across each year, a number of high-quality core texts (see link below) are carefully selected to bring the themes developed within the Oxfam Global Curriculum to life for our children. These connect them to real-life and real-world issues, promote thinking as a global citizen and provide purposeful and relevant motivations for writing.
For more information regarding our English Writing curriculum, please contact the school office via the contact us tab on the school website.
|Core Text 2021 2022||21st Jun 2022||Download|