In Bexley, the local authority makes decisions about admitting children to community schools from Nursery to Year 6. For the full procedure and to apply for a place at Upton, please visit the London Borough of Bexley Admissions website here. Bexley have also published a booklet titled ' Born Ready, School Ready, Bexley Read ' which provides practical advice for parents and carers of children aged 0 - 5. This booklet can be found below.
We currently have provision for 26 part-time places in the morning. Every child will be given a part-time place in keeping with the government's funding for families (15 hours per week).
Children born between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020 will be due to start in Nursery in September 2023.
- you can apply online from Monday 16 January 2023 using the following link: https://www.eadmissions.org.uk/
- the closing date is Wednesday 6 April 2023
- offers of places to on-time applicants will be made on Monday 15 May 2023
Information regarding the schools available in Bexley together with full details on the application process will be made available to you before the application window opens.
The school will offer school visits for interested parents/carers on the following dates:
Friday 3rd February at 1.30 pm - 2.15 pm
Wednesday 22nd February at 1.30 pm - 2.15 pm
Please note that both meetings will take place in the school hall and will include a visit to the Nursery setting
Upton will admit 60 children in total, between the two Reception classes each September. If your child is born between 01.9.18 and 31.08.19, you can apply online for a reception place from 01.09.22 to 15.01.23 by visiting: http://www.eadmissions.org.uk
All information for parents applying for a Reception place at Upton can be found by clicking here or on the Bexley Schools Admission website or in the brochure attached below.
Please note that parents/carers applying for a place on behalf of a Looked After Child or Post LAC application should read the updated information here.
The following days and times have been allocated for the Reception Meetings:
Wednesday 12th October 10.00 am - 11.00 am
Wednesday 16th November 10.00 am - 11.00 am (only offered if 12.10.22 is full)
Wednesday 14th December 10.00 am - 11.00 am (only offered if 16.11.22 is full)
Wednesday 11thy January 10.00 am - 11.00 am (only offered if 14.12.22 is full)
This one hour meeting will provide an opportunity to view a presentation with senior leaders, view the EYFS learning environment and to ask questions.
Admission criteria to Nursey and Reception
If there are more applications than places available, the London Borough of Bexley will use its admission criteria to decide which applicants should be offered a place. For accurate information on this click here. A summary of priorities includes:
1. Priority 1 is given to children in public care (looked after children) and children previously looked after immediately before being adopted or subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order.
2. This is given to children with a medical condition such that it is essential, on medical grounds, for the child to attend the preferred school.
3. This is given to children with a brother or sister who will be attending the school of parental preference at the time the child is due for admission to that school.
4. This is given where either the disability or medical condition of a parent or sibling or exceptional social or domestic circumstances would result in significant hardship if the child did not attend the school nearest to home, nearest to the place of work of the parent not suffering the condition, or convenient to the family’s childminder.
5. This gives priority to pupils living nearest to the school based on the distance from the home address to the nearest school entrance measured as a straight line in accordance with the London Borough of Bexley’s policy on the measurement of home to school distance.
In–Year School Admissions (all year groups)
Upton is a thriving and popular, over-subscribed school, however places do sometimes become avilable during the year, when familes move away or change schools. Parents/carers seeking an in year admission should do so directly to the Local Authority. If you have recently been informed Bexley admissions that your child has been allocated a place at Upton, we will contact you and invite you and your child into school to complete the necessary forms. You will also have the opportunity to meet your child’s teacher, their class, and to familiarise yourself with our building. Once all relevant documentation has been completed and received, your child will usually join us within the following two weeks.
Applying for Secondary School Places
All information for parents of children in Year 6 can be found on the Bexley Schools Admission website or in the brochure attached below. The school will also inform parents of key dates, school visits etc via email.
The deadline for applications to starting Secondary schools in 2023, is 31st October 2022. For parents of year 6 children that will sit the Bexley selective schools test (11+), you must still complete the application for all schools before the deadline. The 11+ test will take place on 13th September 2022 and therefore it is imperative that parents submit an on time application to their home local authority by the national deadline on 31 October 2022. Parents should not wait for selection test results before submitting their preferences, as this will render the application late. If a child's 11+ test result affects the outcome of the application, then parents will have a short period in which to contact Bexley Admissions, (or their Home LA if they do not reside in Bexley), by email, requesting a change of preference or preference order.