At Upton, we aspire to engender a love of Geography in our pupils and a fascination for the world around them. Our scheme of work inspires pupils to become curious and explorative thinkers with a diverse knowledge of the world; in other words, to think like a geographer. We want pupils to develop their confidence to question and observe places, measure and record necessary data in various ways and analyse and present their findings. We aim to build an awareness of how Geography shapes our lives at multiple scale and over time. We want to encourage pupils to become resourceful, active citizens who have the skills to contribute to and improve the world around them.
Our curriculum encourages:
- A strong focus on developing both geographical skills and knowledge.
- Critical thinking, with the ability to ask perceptive questions and explain and analyse evidence.
- The development of fieldwork skills across each year group.
- A deep interest and knowledge of pupils’ locality and how it differs from other areas of the world.
- A growing understanding of geographical terms and vocabulary.